POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scanline rendering in POV-Ray : Re: Scanline rendering in POV-Ray Server Time
4 Aug 2024 18:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scanline rendering in POV-Ray
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 2 Jun 2003 12:35:57
Message: <3EDB7CED.99BA1222@gmx.de>
Ray Gardener wrote:

> I didn't plan on supporting any scanline-only
> primitives, if that's what you meant. My prototype
> will support a subset of existing POV primitives,
> so that whatever the scanline system can render,
> the raytracer can render.

Quoting from your original post:

> I'm currently investigating development of a
> scanline renderer, because the scenes I need
> to support (landscape scenes) typically contain
> too many objects for efficient raytracing.

Sorry but i simply don't get it.  Your original motivation for considering
implementing scanline rendering in POV-Ray is to allow something that is
not possible in POV-Ray as you state (i.e. efficient rendering of scenes
with many objects).  But now you write you will only support a subset of
those shapes already available in POV-Ray - how does this fit together?

I think this whole thread suffers from one serious problem - You never
made a clear and open statement of your objectives and you don't seem to
be willing to discuss whether your idea for a solution (i.e. scanline
rendering) will meet your objectives.  All people who replied to you in
this thread have a good deal of experience with POV-Ray in various fields
but i have the impression that you either ignore or don't understand most
of the arguments we have given.

Christoph